Start with imagination

Wedding & Event Inspiration

Wedding Glossary: GOBO

October 19th, 2012

In today’s Wedding Glossary entry we cover the ever-present GOBOs or gobo. GOBO is a term derived from “GO BlackOut” or “Goes Before Optics” and is a template slotted inside, or placed in front of, a lighting source and used to control the shape of emitted light. Developed for use on film sets, the term “gobo” has come to generally refer to any device which produces patterns of light. It is typically a metal plate that is affixed to a light source, allowing the light to shine through particular portions, resulting in a displayed pattern or logo on a wall, floor or ceiling.

Gobo design and use is one of our many specialties. In terms of weddings and events, we use gobos constantly. One of the most common uses is, of course, when a couple requests to project their monogram on a wall or floor. Additionally, gobos are also perfect for adding texture and interest to an area using light. We have a library of custom patterns that we project on any surface, such as leaves or branches for a touch of softness or romance to a focal point.

Gobos are great for corporate events – they are an ideal means to project a logo or icon to make the event complete.

Comments are closed.